Welcome to Signmax.us Forum
WinPCSIGN BASIC - PRO Welcome to Signmax.us Forum

<  WinPCSIGN, error messages and solution  ~  Using WinPcSign Pro with Linux

adambond
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I recently went to Ubuntu (linux) as my operating system.
But cant get my pcsign to work. It acts like it installs no problem. But wont open.
Brent Rasmussen
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
adambond wrote:
I recently went to Ubuntu (linux) as my operating system.
But cant get my pcsign to work. It acts like it installs no problem. But wont open.

I tried this a few years ago with WinPCSign. As far as I know, it won't work with any flavor of Linux. I had some modest success using a Win 98 virtual machine installed via VirtualBox for Linux. Then after making sure that my serial ports were recognized, I installed WinPCSign in the virtual Win 98 and tried cutting.

Like I said - modest success. I could cut simple shapes and big, fat letters, but it always choked on even moderately complex shapes and letters. I finally just built a Windows 98 machine from old spare parts and I use it ONLY for vinyl cutting. WinPCSign is the only software installed, and it is not connected to the internet. I don't even have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse connected to it. I connected my main Windows 7 machine to it via a dedicated local area network router, assigned it a static IP address on the LAN, and then I use Desktop Sharing via Windows to see the vinyl cutting PC, and to run WinPCSign to cut vinyl. Works like a charm.

Best of luck! If you do figure out how to run WinPCSign in Linux successfully, I believe you'll be the first. Please document your success, if it happens! Smile
adambond
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks bud. I will keep trying. Its all about the dongle i believe.